Friday, November 11, 2011

Field Trip!!!

We had a field trip today to Station 6 on King and Cannon street. This is the fire station I lived at for 3 months when I first came to Charleston. I really loved living in such a historic fire station. Just the idea of living in a 100 + year old station was amazing. Imagine all the firefighters that walked the same steps and slid down the same fire pole as me.

Both of my Battalion Chiefs were also stationed at Engine 6 and it made me quite proud that they allowed me to stay there during training. I kept the station as clean as possible every day because I wouldn't dare embarrass them by being a lazy recruit.

Here's some info I found on a site talking about the history of the station.





Station 6
5 Cannon Street
Built 1887-88

The third fire station built after the 1886 earthquake was a new Station 6. It replaced the former Marion Steam Fire Engine Company just down the block.

Each of the three stations had a Silsby boiler on the first floor, for both heating and keeping hot water circulating at all times in the steamer.








More pics to follow.